Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Tomato Chutney
- Cauliflower Steaks
- 2 large heads cauliflower, trimmed (about 2 lb each)
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) grapeseed oil
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) kosher or fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) chana dal or yellow split peas
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) finely chopped gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) unsweetened coconut flakes
- 4 bay leaves, crumbled
- 1/2 can (796 mL/28 oz) Muir Glen™ Organic Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) honey
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) grated lime peel
- Heat oven to 450°F. Spray 18x13-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut 1 head cauliflower in half through centre of stem. Cut 1-inch steak from cut side of each half. Repeat with other cauliflower to make 4 steaks total. Reserve remaining cauliflower pieces for another use. Using 2 teaspoons of the grapeseed oil, brush both sides of each steak, and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. In 12-inch skillet, heat remaining 4 teaspoons grapeseed oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook steaks in oil 6 to 8 minutes, turning once, until edges are deeply browned. Transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining steaks. Roast steaks 30 to 35 minutes or until steaks are tender when pierced with fork.
- Meanwhile, make chutney by heating olive oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add chana dal; cook 30 seconds. Add garlic, ginger and red pepper; cook 30 seconds, stirring continuously. Add red onion, 1 tablespoon of the coconut flakes, and the bay leaves; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes, honey and 1 teaspoon salt; stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; cool mixture 10 to 15 minutes.
- In 8-inch skillet, toast remaining 2 tablespoons coconut flakes over medium-low heat 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until toasted and golden brown. Place coconut in small bowl; cool 5 minutes. Mix with grated lime peel.
- Serve each steak with 2 tablespoons chutney; top with coconut mixture.