Smoky Romesco Sauce
The secret to Romesco Sauce is great tomatoes. Under or overripe tomatoes are more difficult to control from a flavour perspective. In this quick Romesco Sauce, fire roasted tomatoes and smoked paprika combine for a perfectly balanced sauce every time. Serve Romesco as a sauce for grilled vegetables or as a dip with crunchy bread.
- 1 bulb garlic
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and seeded
- 1/2 can (796 mL/28 oz) Muir Glen™ Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon(5 mL) fine sea salt
Heat oven to 375°F. Line 15x10x1-inch pan with foil. Cut an additional 8-inch square of foil.
- Slice the top off the garlic, exposing the tops of the cloves. Place the garlic in the centre of the foil square, and drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon of the olive oil. Wrap the foil around the head of garlic; place on pan. Roast 18 to 20 minutes or until garlic is soft; remove and let cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to broil. Place pepper halves, cut sides down, on same pan, and brush with 1/2 teaspoon of the olive oil. Broil on upper middle rack 15 to 20 minutes or until charred. Allow peppers to cool 5 to 10 minutes; peel charred skin off peppers.
- Gently squeeze head of garlic to remove cloves into food processor. Add peeled pepper, tomatoes, almonds, vinegar, paprika and salt. Puree until smooth. Add remaining olive oil; pulse to combine.