Braised Chicken With Tomatoes And Peppers
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive or canola oil
- 1 cut-up whole chicken (3 to 3½ lb/1.5 to 1.75 kg), skin removed
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) coarse (kosher or sea) salt
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) pepper
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow or green bell pepper, cut into bite-size strips
- 1 medium jalapeño chili, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 can (796 mL/28 oz) Muir Glen™ Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- ½ cup (125 mL) chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- Hot cooked rice or couscous, if desired
- Lime wedges, if desired
In deep 12-inch (30 cm) skillet or 5-quart (5 L) Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken pieces to skillet; cook 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally, until chicken is light golden brown. Remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
- In same skillet, add onion, garlic, bell pepper and chili; cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in tomatoes, broth, 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the cilantro, the chili powder and cumin until well mixed.
- Return chicken to skillet; spoon sauce over chicken. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, turning chicken once, until juice of chicken is clear when thickest piece is cut to bone (170°F/77°C for breasts; 180°F/82°C for thighs and drumsticks).
- Serve in shallow bowls over rice; sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.