Creamy Fire Roasted Tomato Coconut Soup
- 6 tablespoons (90 mL) virgin coconut oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can (796 mL/28 oz) Muir Glen™ Organic Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) vegetable stock
- 1 can (400 mL) whole fat coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped green or purple basil (for garnish)
- Melt coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until onions have softened, about 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stock, coconut milk, and cayenne pepper. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until tomatoes, onions, and garlic are soft, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer soup to the jar of a blender and puree until smooth. Return to saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until soup is heated through.
- If the soup seems too thick, stir in some extra stock to thin. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately with a sprinkling of Thai purple or Italian green basil.