What makes a clam chowder, a Manhattan one?
Well that’s simple by the addition of tasty tomatoes! Muir Glen Crushed Tomatoes With Basil make for an amazing complement to this chowder recipe. Give it a try on the next cold day!
1. In a large pot, cook the bacon over medium heat for approximately 3-5 minutes or until it starts to brown.
2. Add the celery, onion and carrot. Cook for approximately 3-5 minutes or until the onion begins to turn translucent.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste and Muir Glen Crushed Tomatoes With Basil. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium.
4. Add the cornstarch and 4 cups (1 L) of cold water to the soup, and bring the mixture back to a medium boil.
5. Add the potatoes, and allow the chowder to simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes.
6. Finally, add the fresh clam meat. Check the seasoning and add more salt and pepper if desired.
7. Transfer the chowder to a slow cooker, and cook on low for approximately 3-5 hours. The chowder will only get better as it cooks down and the flavours really work together.
8. Ladle into bowls, garnish with a heavy cream swirl, crushed soda cracked and fresh thyme