Chick Pea and Tomato Curry
Fire roasted tomatoes complement the complex curry spices in this simple dish. Serve with a steaming bowl of basmati rice or Indian flatbread.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about ½ cup/125 mL)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped gingerroot
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) curry powder
- 2 cans (540 mL/19 oz each) chick peas, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (796 mL/28 oz) Muir Glen™ Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- ½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp (2 mL) coarse salt (kosher or sea salt)
- Hot cooked rice, if desired
- Plain yogurt, if desired
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic, gingerroot and curry powder in oil about 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are tender.
- Stir in chick peas and tomatoes. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro, lemon juice and salt.
- Serve over rice; top each serving with yogurt.