Classic Marinara Sauce
The perfect pasta topper, this sauce will quickly become a family favourite. This sauce is great to have on hand for quick meals. Ladle the cooked sauce into freezer containers and keep in your freezer up to a month. Just thaw in the refrigerator or microwave, then use in your favourite recipe.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (796 mL/28 oz) Muir Glen™ Organic Crushed Tomatoes with Basil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) coarse (kosher or sea) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- In 3-quart (3 L) saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and garlic; cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Serve over cooked pasta as desired.