Ned Bell’s Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomato Creamy Scalloped Potatoes
- 1 can Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 11 litre 35% cream
- 5-7 lbs of potatoes, peeled and sliced thin (Yukon gold and russets work well)
- 1 whole large white onion, peeled, cut in half and sliced thin
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups of grated cheeses mixed (Gouda, mozzarella, provolone and Parmesan)
- 2 tbsp salt
1. In a pot over medium heat simmer the fire roasted tomatoes, cream and salt together until they boil slightly.
2. Once the tomato/cream mixture is hot, purée the mixture in a Vita Prep or bar blender until well blended. You are making a delicious tomato cream that will serve as the silky velvety sauce for the scalloped potatoes.
3. In a large casserole dish, begin layering the potatoes in a thin and shingled layer.
4. Once you have covered the bottom of the casserole dish in potatoes, pour an even amount of the Fire Roasted Tomato cream over the potatoes. (Approximately 1/2 cup) Just enough to barely cover the potatoes. Do not over sauce the dish, it’s needs 3/4 of the total tomato cream mixture to be used in the finished dish but not all of it.
5. Then, lay some of the thinly sliced white onions, and then the cheese.
6. Repeat 3-5 times depending on your execution and the size of the casserole dish.
7. Potato-Sauce-Onion-Cheese, Repeat.
8. In a preheated 400 oven, bake for 60 minutes until a thin long knife slides through the potatoes easily.
9. You want the potatoes cooked entirely through, but not over cooked.
10. Remove from oven.
11. Let cool completely.
12. Slice into squares or rectangles and enjoy.
13. Serve with your favourite fish, poultry, vegetables, and a tasty salad