Fire Roasted Tomato Mac and Cheese
- 5 cups (1.25 L) uncooked penne pasta (16 oz)
- 2½ cups (625 mL) milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) kosher or fine sea salt
- 3 cups (750 mL) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded white Cheddar cheese
- ½ can (796 mL/28 oz) Muir Glen™ Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) butter, melted
- 1 cup (250 mL) panko crispy bread crumbs
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13 x 9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package. In 4-cup glass measuring cup, mix milk and cream.
- Meanwhile, in 6-quart Dutch oven, melt 1/4 cup butter over low heat. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring frequently. With whisk, stir in flour and salt until smooth. Increase heat to medium; cook and stir constantly until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Gradually stir in milk mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute; reduce heat. Stir in cheeses. Cook until melted, stirring occasionally. Stir pasta and tomatoes into cheese sauce. Remove from heat. Add eggs to pasta mixture, stirring constantly, until blended. Pour mixture into baking dish.
- In small bowl, mix Topping ingredients. Sprinkle over pasta mixture.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until pasta is bubbly and bread crumbs are lightly browned.